Thursday, January 30, 2014

You Just Don't Find Tech Support Like This Anymore



Personally, I hate having to call customer service for help since most of the time you get some guy on the line who clearly would rather be somewhere fishing or hanging out with his buddies. Even if you manage to get the guy actively involved in the call, most of the time he can’t help you anyway, you’re on your own! 

It’s even worse in the software industry where you basically do everything online. You have to rely on emails and phone calls and rarely have the luxury of somebody actually going to your office. We’ve all experienced it before, you call Tech Support to get a hand with some software that you just purchased and it turns out that you always get some automated message, voice mail or phone menu. Good luck if you try sending an email, you’ll most likely get a reply in a few weeks and by then you’ll have grown so frustrated with the software and the unreliable support that you’ll just opt for uninstalling a solution that you paid good money for. 

Well I was sure that this scenario would unfold again when I was looking to purchase a SCOM add-on named Xian Network Manager 2012 from a company called Jalasoft. What this does in a nutshell, is that it extends Operations Manager’s network monitoring capabilities and provides you with an array of features that SCOM just doesn’t have. As you can imagine, I hit my first roadblock during the installation, since I wasn’t very familiar with the product. So I thought, God here we go! I gave Tech Support a call fearing that I would get yet another answering machine, but to my surprise I got an actual person on the line. I was then quickly transferred to an engineer who was able to pinpoint the problem in a few minutes and get me back on track. 

A few days later I hit a second snag. I thought to myself, “no way are these guys gonna be as efficient this time around”, so I gave them a call just to test my theory. I was in awe when I was greeted by the same person as last time who again transferred my call to another tech support expert. I was happy to find out that this guy was just as efficient as the last one. We quickly set up an online meeting  along with some members of their development team where they personally took a look at my setup and before long, the issue was fixed and my setup fin-tuned. 

All the while, both of the support engineers and developers I talked to where polite and patient with all of my demands. That’s just something you don’t find nowadays, and for free. I hadn’t even bought the software at this point, I was only testing to see if I would go forward with it. 

Well I decided that Xian Network Manager was a good fit for my organization so I wanted to begin the purchasing procedure which I thought would be as painful as a penicillin shot. You won’t believe it, but their Sales Team was just as responsive as their Tech Support staff. I was able to purchase the software in a matter of hours and received an Invoice the very same day that I sent my Purchase Order. I was even able to have my environment up and running with a temporary license until my wire transfer cleared through. 

All and all I was so pleased that I just had to write this article for all the people that feel there is no hope when it comes to Tech Support. Cheer up!!  There are still companies out there who take pride in offering quick and effective support with a personal touch. 

Robert Seidl- Consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment